Peter Loso was one of the first settlers to arrive to the St. Joseph area and founded the German settlement deal in August, 1854. He stated section 9-10 which the Town of Saint Joseph was platted. Numerous others soon followed and the Township was organized in 1858 covering 81 square mls. Originally called Clinton, St. Joseph bought its current name in 1870. Many settlers came up for the land, with its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and finally the Community was integrated in 1890. As the township grew, so have the needs of its citizens, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As a part of their plan in the 1890's, they decided to construct a prison, install a general public well, build and repair solid wood sidewalks, and set liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also a difficulty and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was planned, which is currently the St. Joseph Fireplace Dept.
By the first 1900's St. Joseph was growing with around 600 residents. Farming was starting to support the family members after multiple years of hardship due to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 minimizing the time to milk cows so more time could be spent on crops and pet care. Soon after, World Battle 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to battle.
After the battle ended people were able to get their lives again on the right track, at least for some time, before the stock market crash in 1929. Also, at this time, prohibition was in effect so lots of the farmers considered making moonshine, which relatively reduced the hardships of the market crash. Along with the depression effecting every person in town, the city needed to keep together as part of your. Through a federal government grant, the Council could hire the unemployed to help clean and maintain the Village.
On Dec click here 7, 1941 japan bombed Pearl Harbor which officially came into the US into World Warfare Saint Joseph Missouri 2. Rationing tokens were given out since many items were an issue. At that time St. Joseph had a society of around 1050, getting rid of 10 heroic troops to the war. The community continued to be strong and continued to increase the Village, adding a normal water get more info tower in 1949, along with a new Community well. In 1959, St. Joseph started fluoridating its normal water supply, and goes on to do so.